Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 13 - Amite LA

It was windy as advertised leaving Baton Rouge. There was actually a wind advisory, with sustained winds of 25 and gusts to 40 mph! I was sorry to have to leave Baton Rouge; we were so busy and had so much fun that I felt I still needed to decompress.  Mark rode me out east through some parts of b.r. I hadnt seen yet. Its a lot older than many other american cities, something thats obvious riding through. Lots of neat neighborhoods leading up to the busy road I needed to get out of town.
Mercifully, I did not have to ride straight into the wind all day, only part of the day. When it was at my back I could go uphill at 25 mph. When it blew at me I could barely manage 10 mph downhill! The strong winds were part of a cold front that blew through with lows around 21. I decided 50 miles to amite la was enough progress, and I could hole up and wait for things to get better tomorrow. I dipped into the emergency fund and sprung for a really nasty motel for $40, with see through sheets and no alarm clock. Its really nice to be sheltered and warm though. I also was able to do a major grocery shop and resupply, hopefully my last for a while. Im staying with more warm showers people tonight in poplarville ms, and after that the camping weather will be better.
Sorry, no phone pictures today. I took some with my other camera but theyre inaccessible. The roads/conditions leaving b.r. werent the best for stopping and snapping, and the scenery out of town was minimal. Ill be back to my old self tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping in Baton Rouge, Carl! I had a great weekend. Glad to read you didn't have any trouble getting out of Baton Rouge, too. Best of luck on the rest of your trip. Mark

    ReplyDelete