Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 22 - chattahoochee

Tues 12/21
it was nice to get a bit of a rest today. I took my time getting ready, and on my way out went to go look at the highest waterfall in florida. It was really just a little trickle cascading down into a sink hole. the mild acidity of the water wears through the limestone over time, occasionally collapsing into caverns below. This forms the sinkholes. There were lots of other ones besides the one with the waterfall. Presumably they all had water flow at some point.
I only had about 50 miles to do before my next stop, so I took it easy. This was helped dramatically by my first tailwind in days. It was really nice to get a little help from the weather. Tomorrow should also be favorable. I took a few more dirt shortcuts and got off the highway for a little while.
My favorite sign from today was the one advertising "pistol ammo, guns, ice, cold beer, bait, cheap cigarettes, hunting and fishing licences". Why shouldnt you sell all those things in one place? Its better than superwalmart. Im also really close to the time zone boundary so all the signs say either cst or est. My phone also keeps jumping between hours.
Three rivers state park is pretty pleasant. Its right on lake seminole, which shares a border with georgia. I saw another nice moon rise over the water and got to sleep early. Tallahassee is my stop tonight, itll be nice to be in a house!

No comments:

Post a Comment