Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 23 - Tallahassee

Weds 12/22
No pictures today! I am such a slacker. I swore I took some, but they must be on the other camera. I thought about stopping more but I had such a nice tailwind that it didnt seem necessary. The last couple days have really been a nice respite. Im not sure if its the hills or just 1200 miles in 3 weeks but im feeling a little road weary. Earlier in the trip I would feel soreness in my legs at the end of the day, but it would be gone by morning.  Now its there pretty much all the time.
I saw two west bound tourists today, sarah and walter, who started in the catskills and were headed to san diego. Ill be back in austin by the time theyre there, so I told them to look me up and come stay.
The environs of tallahassee were noticably more affluent than the surrounding areas. All of a sudden I started seeing shiny black bmws and cadillac escalades with some big plantation style homes to match. Some years ago I imagine they were country houses and farms for the florida statesman, but now theure more like suburbs.
Tallahassee is probably the hilliest place ive been yet. I had to use the loweat gear on my bike for the first time climbing up the hill to the house where I was staying. My hosts, martha and vince, lived for many years in the hills of west virginia, and picked tallahassee partially because they liked the elevation profile. Theyre both very gracious hosts. They made delicious spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, and we were joined by their adult son nick. They even let me wash all my dirty clothes.
Im looking forward to the ride tomorrow. Part will be on a bike path, which is always nice. Im going to be staying in a little cottage in monticello. There will definitely be pictures of that, so dont worry! More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment