Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 9 - simmesport

Today was not a good day. It started off innocuously enough. My host left early this morning for work. She was great - last night (12/7) she got fried alligator, crawfish and catfish, with chicken and sausage gumbo on tje side. She was an avid rider and cycling enthusiast and we discussed our common interests until late. anyway, I was on my own in the morning (12/8). I tuned up my bike (still in great shape) and made oatmeal with blackberries so big I had to cut them in half. I got ready to go and put some stuff in the carport, but when I tried to go back inside I realized the door had locked behind me with my bike my phone and other stuff trapped inside. I had to go to the neighbors (several neighbors) to figire out how I could get in touch with her. I eventually did and she came back to save the day. But, the fiasco cost me 2 hours and i didnt leave til noon.
63 miles (my planned destination) seemed like a tall order but I decided I would go for it. That meant hauling ass all day with only two short stops. I was headed due north to go around the atchafalaya basin. The wind was headed due south and the first 30 miles were miserable. The wide open bayou provides no shelter at all, and I didnt stop at all to rest. The other thing about riding in the bayou is that the roads are horrible, since they all run on top of ever-shifting levees. Only after a few hours headed north did I make it back to more solid ground, suitable for growing trees tall enough to block the wind. After that it was cotton fieldsand hunting land, but still just as windy. I didnt change direction until mile 55, when I finally got a little breather.
I made it to yellow bayou civil war battlefield and set up camp, exhausted. when I was struggling today I couldnt help but think of jake. I just had to keep ot all in perspective, and I gladly pushed myself forward. Tomorrow will only be better. Its gonna be cold again tonight though!  Not many pictures from today, sorry kids. Lots of cool cypress trees all around.
Also, a couple of the park where I camped from this morning (12/9)

No comments:

Post a Comment