Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 4 - New waverly

Sorry for the delay updating. There were upload issues with the photos. This was yesterdays entry and todays will follow.

I was back on the road today. I bid farewell to jason at 10am after another fun night and a great experience in college station. I was happy to get off tx30 when I found a little bbq trailer. It had a billboard above it that really melded the christian conservatism and far right politics you think of into one giant stereotype. The meat was good and I pushed on. More tailwind today but after lunch I started to see some rollers. I think its about to get hillier.
The nicest part of today was riding through sam houston national forest.  Its mostly loblolly pine and the temperature was noticably cooler than other areas around it. At one point I saw a trailhead that looked like it could have led to some dirt jumps. I rode down the single track at few hundred yards and found a clearing, but there was nothing back there. I think it was a motorcycle trail.
I made it to new waverly around 4 and met jody who was busy cleaning a gun. He and his wife have 10 acres, a pond and a travel trailer for guests that im currently sitting in.  Their 11 year old son samuel took me fishing. He caught small bass. simon, who is 5, was inside studying words. They were dismayed that I did not want to play basketball. Apparently they get lots of travelers and im wondering how many other adventure cycling southern tier people I will see. Im looking forward to.a nice long sleep and some more riding tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Christian conservatism, far-right politics, and good old fashioned capitalism. Does Russ Huff do Ohio taxes?

    ReplyDelete