Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 5 - Kountze, TX

well, the warm up is over. I rode 90 miles today, all the way to kountze, texas. I had not really planned on riding that far today but the conditions were favorable and the wind is supposed to change for the worse tomorrow. I left new waverly after jody made me a great breakfast with eggs, sausage, toast and oatmeal. most of the riding was uneventful. I stopped for groceries in coldspring texas which was excited about its high school football win the night before. the consensus in the grocery store was that a state championship was inevitable.
much of what I rode through today was logged pine forest and not particularly memorable. Im just far enough from beaumont and port arthur (the other twin cities) for it to be very rural but close enough that all the resources have been exhausted, probably about 100 years ago from the look of it. I got stung by a bee while on my bike,  riding near a place called honey island.  I guess it used to have a large native bee population with huge honey combs growing from the trees, but ecosystems are a tough thing to manage and the bees are now long gone (except for the one that got me).
the result of a long day today is a short day tomorrow, even though it will be into the wind. I didn't take many pictures because I was busy making progress, but here's the 1 that counts. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment