Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 24 - Monticello

Thurs 12/23
Today was fun. Now that Im so close I'm really savoring my remaining miles. Even though I've been feeling a little tired I wouldnt rather be doing anything else. I can't believe I'll get to gainesville in just 2 more days.
I left martha and vince in tallahassee and headed out of town south, despite my destination being almost due east. I took the flatter more rural longcut which started off on a city/rails to trails bikepath. I love bikepaths. I found a perfectly orange under a bridge and ate it. The bridge orange was good but not as good as the gas station orange I bought the day before. Florida, go figure. Anyway, I even saw someone else on a bike. He was stopped behind a bush drinking a 40oz malt liquor, but he was still astride his bicycle. I did actually see a couple other riders also (pedaling, not drinking). Once I got to roads it was scenic pine hills but there was holiday traffic. it just seemed like more traffic than there should be for a regular thursday. I stopped and checked out a few little spots that caught my eye, mostly ungated forest roads. They burn the underbrush here so it's not uncommon to see trees that are charred up to about 5 ft. I guess it doesn't hurt the trees.
I made sure to take another dirt shortcut on my way to monticello. Theyre fun, but my hosts live out past the pavement so I was guaranteed to have some dirt anyway. About 25 yds from their house the packed sand road finally gave way and I could ride no further.
I was greeted right away by Zef, who was working outside. He showed me to the cottage where im staying, which is basically a guest house. His wife Oona got back a little after me. they have several acres and it's really pleasant. after drinking a couple beers and chatting, another friend came over and we ate dinner. It was a very tasty lasagna.
I've got about 140 miles to go to gainesville. Its definitely 2 full days. I need to make sure to stop for groceries during the day tomorrow because everything will be closed in the evening and on christmas. Ill be having a christmas eve campout.

No comments:

Post a Comment