Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 14 - poplarville MS

Today was a hard day. I left the warmth of the motel around 930. It was still only 30 degrees. Im not sure it got above 40 all day. It was definitely the coldest day of riding yet. Also the hilliest! I stayed on hwy 16 all the way to franklinton. I caught up with the adventure cying route again there, albeit only for a while. I stayed on some more direct roads in order to shorten the total mileage for the day, which still ended up at 77. But, there were lots of hills slightly too big to really ride like rollers. After stocking up on supplies yesterday my pack was heavy again, and my knees felt it for the first time. The wind was blowing mostly from my 8 to 10 oclock.
I stopped for lunch in bogalusa la which was a working class town. There was a paper mill and lots of timber trucks, first headed my way, then the other once I left town. I crossed over the pearl river into mississippi, and the shoulder got small. I ended up riding a bit out of my way on some farm roads but eventually made it to my hosts steve and tanya in poplarville. Steve made really good homemade pizza for dinner, followed by a colbert christmas on dvd. There was also homebrewed winter beer and hot chocolate. It was really nice to be inside again after a long day. Tomorrow should be warmer and a little shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment