Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 6 - Kirbyville

The wind finally bit back today. It turned out to be a good move to make time yesterday while I could. I rode straight into the wind all day today, which thanks to yesterday was only 35 miles. If it was 75, or even 55, I would have suffered. My average speed yesterday was more than 1 mph faster than today, despite my riding almost 3 times further. It was almost all on us 96, which is a two lane divided highway with a 12 foot shoulder. There was sunday traffic and unfortunately not as many trucks to break up the wind. If you have to ride into the wind, semi trucks can actually be useful.
I saw 2 other cyclists today after not seeing any all trip. One, gerard, was a sport cyclist working (around here that means oil) in beaumont. I caught up with him after I left kountze. The other one was big ring bob from new hampshire, who was headed the opposite way. He stayed with the mcculloughs in kirbyville, my hosts for tonight.
They operate a small 30 acre farm off us 96. Theyve got baby chicks, chickens, goats, horses, turkeys, a couple dogs and a one eyed cat. Jerry milked the goats and fed everyone else (including me) after I got there. I keep hearing about his amazing breakfasts, but ill have to wait til the morning. Tomorrow will be cold and windy again, so ill need my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment