Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 21 - falling waters state park

Mon 12/20
today started off early. mark leaves for work at 630, so that's when I left too. One of those pictures is actually sunrise over his private lake. after the blueberry smoothie and a ride back to the paved roads, I was already pedaling before 7 o'clock. However, I soon made a pit stop at waffle house to warm up and top up on calories. 2 eggs, a waffle, hasbrowns, bacon, toast and 3 cups of coffee got me ready for a long day.
because I had such an early start I was pretty sure I would make my destination, it was just a question of how long it would take. literally the entire day was spent on highway 90. fortunately, i-10 parallels 90 much of the way and diverts a lot of the truck and through traffic. it generally has a good shoulder and is the flattest route by far, but there are still plenty of cars. On days when I know I won't see much nature, i usually look for funny signs, like the one announcing caryville, fl as the worm fiddlin capital of the world.
At some point around pensacola I lost the key to my bike lock. I stopped at a welding/sheet metal shop whose door was open to see if anyone could cut the lock portion and free the cable portion. A man who introduced himself only as cowboy gladly obliged. Now I can just get another padlock.
After stopping at the piggly wiggly in chipley, I made it to falling waters state park. Its the site of the highest waterfall in florida, and the actual campground sits on one of the highest hills in florida at a whopping 327 ft. The climb up the road was EASILY the steepest all trip, but not too long. Its very pretty pine country. I guess there are snakes too!
The full moon that rose was probably the brighest ill ever see. sunlight from the other side of the world being reflected almost directly back, so straight that in another few hours the shadow of the earth would block out the moon completely. It was like a day with two sunsets.  My vantage point high in the hills with clear, dry air was a perfect spot to watch. I went to bed at 8 to make sure I wouldnt miss it. I took lots of neat pictures, but not on this camera, sorry readers.
I only have 45 miles to chattahoochee tomorrow so ill probably check out the falls before I leave, and maybe find some more rual roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment