Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 8 - opelousas

Brrr! it was 25 degrees when I woke up this morning. that's a new low for this trip.  I got the fire going again after I got out of the tent (much later). I had to get tea and oatmeal going shortly after that to warm up. I left a little before 10.
the most memorable thing about today with how much the landscape changed in 62 short miles. where I camped last night was basically the end of the rolling pine hills of east texas. Today, as if by magic it flattened out and suddenly all I could see was bayou. There was lots of farmland criss-crossed with small dykes. Im not sure what they grew, but the flooding and draining were obviously essential. They all had big pump systems. I saw my last prickly pear cactus and my first palm tree. The accents were WAY different also. it was probably the most a rural area that I will be in for a while so I made sure to soak it up. I had 3 dogs chase me today which helped break up the tempo riding with some unplanned sprints. The third one was fast, but I still won.
I ventured off the map today and went to opelousas instead of washington. theyre only about 6 miles apart and I have someone to stay with here. the house is great - it has a shower, a washer and dryer, all of which ive used already. my host was only here briefly but Im looking forward to getting to know her better when she gets back.

1 comment:

  1. What an extraordinary experience this is becoming. So many wonderful people, and parts of the country you've never seen before!

    ReplyDelete